Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Forgot to mention two things in my last post:

1) In the past few days, I've been referred to as a pastor, bishop, CEO, university lecturer, and one other that I can't remember, but never as a high school teacher. They like to embelish just a little here.

2) I read another book since my first post on books, one I found in Mombasa called "Shame," about a young girl from England whose parents moved there from India before she was born on the issue of forced marriages and the abuse of young girls and women. It reminded me a lot of "Infidel" and really burdened me again for the young girls out there forced into these situations. She now runs a counseling center in England for such women and tells the story of one lady who came to her, telling her that from the age of 8 she was raped by her brother and uncle, she told her mother but her mother beat her for bringing shame onto the family. Her brother found out that her mother knew and didn't do anything so he continued, only more frequently. Can you believe this? Imagine being in this situation!

I also was talking to Dan about a recent post about my grandfather, who looks like he may make it until I get home. I was telling him of the legacy my grandfather is leaving behind and how I don't see that from my life. Dan countered by having me imagine the treatment Lisa and the girls will receive if they ever come to Kenya. They will be treated like queens and princesses. He said it's all about where you make your investment. I think he's right and it's humbled me.

No comments: