Thursday, May 19, 2005

Guess who’s back…JP’s back…

Sorry that it’s been so long, I never like to take more than a week off, but if you can believe it I’ve just had nothing to say.

Time for another one of my pet peeves. I hate it when people plan things and expect your attendance yet give you none of the details. “We are having dinner on Friday night…” No time, no attire, at least they give you a place. They must have forgotten how hard it is to be on time or get ready with kids, or they think we have no life and just wait around for them to say boo.

I was paging through the NY Times this evening and found an interesting article. It is titled “A Marriage of Unequals” and talks about a man and a woman who, though alike in many instances, come from different backgrounds, he from a working class family and she from money. What struck me though was, when talking about how they were alike, noted that “both love dancing, motorcycles, Bob Dylan, bad puns, liberal politics, and NPR.” At least these two liberals are not ruining two families, let them stick together.

I also received a book in the mail today I had been meaning to read for some time. It’s called “The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide.” Kind of a creepy title and book, but when I came across the review I knew I had to read it (kind of longer than I figured though, 550 pages). In the intro, the author talks about what led him to write the book, of course one point was the Holocaust itself, but another was how we didn’t learn from it and sat back while the Khmer Rouge, Serbians, and Rwandans slaughtered each other. He also notes how the world took a different approach to the Serbian slaughter than the others, and he cites how the fact that now Europeans were affected so intervention was necessary. I can’t believe how ignorant I had been that I never thought of this before. Who cares if millions of Africans or Hmong are being slaughtered, but let two Americans die or thousands of Albanians, and we take notice, the pressure rises. Makes me mad!

No comments: