Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My high school had a hosted a pretty cool assembly this afternoon, it was called something like "Voices of Men" and dealt with different types of abuse, mostly directed at females, and how men need to take a stand on this issue. I thought it would be a man-hating feminist ordeal, but instead we were treated to a one-man play as he did celebrity impersonations and showed very moving video clips. I thoroughly enjoyed it. At the end he asked every man in the room who felt called to stand and take a pledge that they would treat women with respect and be a voice to those who didn't.

What struck me during this play, though, was that I cannot think of one time in my life where I witnessed a man abusing a woman or child or where I felt a close friend or acquaintance or even someone I knew was being abused. And believe me I've racked my brain as I can't believe that I have never experienced this in my life, but I can't think of one instance. That is very rare. Not only am I extremely lucky that my father never laid a hand on my mother or one of us children, but the fact that I've never even been a part or heard of it outside of my family is unheard of. I thank God for that and as I mentioned in a previous post about sexual abuse, I pray to God that men stand up and be men and call other men to respect the women in their lives, praying also that God intervene when this does not happen and protect the women and children who face this abuse, giving them the peace and comfort that can only come from being in the hands of God.

No comments: