Friday, August 17, 2007

I LOVE this article by Gregg Easterbrook! You have to read it in its entirety (it's not nearly as long as his TMQ's). I particularly enjoy the following quote:


Some commentators argue that Vick must be dealt with severely to "send a message" about athlete's behavior. No: Vick must be dealt with fairly, to send a message about justice.


He goes on to say how Vick shouldn't be sent a message to right the wrong that happened years ago in the Ray Lewis situation, namely that he wasn't punished harsh enough.


I couldn't agree more. I've never been a fan of making an example out of someone (though I did watch a Dateline a few weeks ago about an abusive husband who was made an example out of the by the judge, but though it was stated in those terms, I actually believe the sentence fit the crime).

I've fought this as a coach and teacher, too often I hear that a student or player must be "made an example of." I disagree, let the punishment fit the crime, if the player is engaged in conduct detrimental to the team, she should be removed, not to send a message to the other players but rather for the best of the team and their goals.

No comments: