Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My good friend John sent this to me a while back, I've reflected on it often since then and wanted to post it here for any comments:

As Christians Jesus' unconditional love for us and acceptance of us is an indispensable part of our foundation in God. Without knowing that Jesus loves us there is no stability or hope for living; neither is there confidence or faith to be about the Father's business. There is nothing but introspection and speculation as to our position, posture and partnership with God. If you have accepted Christ as your Savior and if your desire is to live for Him alone you can feel confident and secure in His unrelenting love for you and His unshakable commitment to you. Furthermore you can be assured that His hand is always lovingly and kindly outstretched toward you. In Christ no circumstance is insurmountable, no consequence unredeemable and no sin unforgivable. All is used for good to sanctify, purify and conform us to His image which is perfectly holy and pure. Such conformity is the expectation and heart's desire of every son and daughter of His. However, the person who believes that Christianity is nothing more than doctrinal ascent, or merely "eternal fire insurance" that provides license to do any carnal, sinful thing with impunity will fall into Hell faster than they can say,"I was mistaken."

2 comments:

James said...

I think the opening sentence says it all. When I think about having me unconditional love, for everyone, it just seems impossible. I'm so thankful that God longs for me to be in his presence regardless of what happened in the past. It's also refreshing to think that "all is used for good." It doesn't seem likely at times, but in hind sight you can always see God's hand. I struggle with the last sentence. I admit that the thought of eternity in hell scares the tar out of me.

Anonymous said...

Love the last line! Great quote overall. Now, while I don’t fully think on or understand or appreciate enough God’s unconditional love for me, that he chose me before I had done anything good or evil (in fact, while I was still in my mother’s womb), I do think we sometimes tend to read into the concept of unconditional love unbiblical notions. John Piper has a point when he writes:

“We are confronted by voices in books and radio and sermons and songs that use the term unconditional carelessly – as in the terms, ‘unconditional love’ and ‘unconditional acceptance,’ for instance. And very often when it is used, there is no effort to make sound biblical distinctions between what is unconditional – like God’s electing love – and what is not unconditional – like God’s justifying and glorifying love.”

If we fail to make these distinctions, I see where we can fall into the at-times attractive trap of universalism. That’s not at all what the quote cited was saying (e.g., the last line), but the premises are there if we’re not careful. Anyway, there’s my hair-splitting for the day. Great quote sir!