Friday, April 30, 2004

I wish I could do this more often...

Have you ever said you didn't want to do something but you did it because it was for a member of the clergy or for "the church." Why do we do that? I believe it is because it fits right into our works-based theology, even in the evangelical church. We feel that we can be justified by the clergy or "church" on this earth and God in heaven. We're basically trying to work for our justification on earth and in heaven. But didn't Paul say in the big quote from Eph 2:8-9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, though this not of yourselves, it is a gift from God, not by works that no man should boast." We know this and we believe this and approve of this teaching but often it does not move into our daily lives. Not that these things are wrong to do, but it's the reason behind them. Am I making any sense?

On another topic, do you ever think how much we do just because it is a lifestyle? For instance, my going to coffee shops, I like coffee and all, but it would be much cheaper to brew some at home and sit at my desk or on the couch? But I choose to go and pay $4 for a "latte" just because it is a lifestyle and I can fit in with a group I enjoy to be around, even though no one talks while we are there.

Crazy...

No comments: