Saturday, October 07, 2006

I've always had very limited music knowledge, so it doesn't surprise me that I have never heard of an artist named Moby, who Sojourners highlighted in their recent Special Issue. One comment, however, caught my eye:

Moby’s willingness to also walk the walk – evident in his ongoing commitment to simple living and so-called “Robin Hood-style philanthropy” – are indeed a unique representation of seeking, while in the spotlight, to follow Jesus – whom Moby sees as “essentially a homeless anarchist

Props to him for living simple and engaging in philanthropy, but seeing Jesus as a "homeless anarchist"? I didn't buy it (and still really don't), but when looking up the exact definition of anarchit on Dictionary.com, I found that "anarchist" is defined as one who engages in anarchy, with one of the definitions of anarchy being:

- a theory that regards the absence of all direct or coercive government as a political ideal and that proposes the cooperative and voluntary association of individuals and groups as the principal mode of organized society.

The others didn't fit him at all:

- a state of society without government or law.
- political and social disorder due to the absence of governmental control: The death of the king was followed by a year of anarchy.
- confusion; chaos; disorder: Intellectual and moral anarchy followed his loss of faith.


Interesting, like I said, when I think of Jesus, "anarchist" doesn't come to mind, but I can see it using the definition above.

6 comments:

edluv said...

ah, man, you've ne'er heard of moby? not even a few years back when eminem had his own feud with moby (although moby didn't have one with him.) he's long been considered one of these psuedoXian artists, that sorta call themselves that, but also hold to a lot of stuff that isn't. i think moby generally considers himself one that follow the notion of Jesus, but i'm not sure he's willing to apply all his teachings. i think his veganism is about as important to him as Jesus (that's my impression).

good use of definition. i know a few people, that are friends of mine, who go by the anarchist tag. i think they'd go with that idealic definition of anarchy, and i always try to slap them with the more conventional understandings.

JPN said...

Two to three years is average, I usually hear about an artist three years after he/she has hit it big, other than the absolute stars. I'm into more of the classics (by which I mean the ones I listened to when I grew up). I'm a music polygamist.

jg lenhart said...

I have one of his CD's if you want to have a listen. It's just a series of mini-"songs" with heavy sampling. You'll recognize some of the tracks from commercials run 2 or 3 years ago...THAT was how everyone really heard his jingles...I mean, samplings...um, music.

And Ed is also right about his PETA beliefs being as important (or more) as his religious beliefs.

jg lenhart said...

Jason,

That first definition sounds a lot like "love".

Jesus says they will know us by our love. Love is the ultimate proof. There is NO EXCUSE for responding in ANYTHING other than love.

When I see Christians who get frustrated and don't respond by being patient, kind, etc. it is pretty obvious to me what is going on...

...then justice takes over.

JPN said...

When I first read your comment earlier I was in a hurry and thought you were made at me for not responding to your post and said "You have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR NOT RESPONDING TO ME!" I felt bad, fortunately I read it again. It was like in Kenya this summer when two of us flew back from our time up country while the rest of the team drove. When we hit the ground I received a text message from the driver saying that one of the memebers of our team, in her mid-sixties, was sick and they were checking her into the "hosptial." I was freaked, fortunately I showed it to my friend and he calmed me by saying it wasn't hospital, it was "hotel." WOW! Big Difference!

Adam Nate said...

I would certainly disagree that Jesus was an anarchist. While Jesus often defied government – both Rome and the local Jewish authorities – when it came into conflict with the Scriptures, he didn’t seek to do away with the current earthly system of human government – not yet anyway. Jesus surely recognized that the concept of human government in general had been instituted by God to preserve law and order in this fallen world. Sometimes they do this well, sometimes they do this not so well. And of course God can and did and does use human governments for His own divine purposes.

Ultimately, Jesus was what all Christians ought to be – monarchists. Jesus is the King and we are subjects and ambassadors in His Kingdom. Currently we are “resident aliens” on enemy turf, behind enemy lines. Our mission from the Commander is to first and foremost preach the Good News of the King to the Kings enemies and teach those who believe it the Kings commands. And of course, we are to be waiting expectantly for the King to return! Maranatha!