Saturday, December 09, 2006

Usually when I receive email links that begin with the following I get skeptical...

Having spent three days with 11,000 professors of religion and Bible at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Religion (AAR) and the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL) in Washington DC., I'm glad to be back in the peace of my Californian study. Every year, in the academy, orthodox biblical Christianity decreases in representation, while radical liberalism increases.

...thinking that the disagreements might be centered around some of the non-essentials of Christianity. But further reading of this article from Dr. Peter Jones shows otherwise. If I didn't know better I'd think Jones was crazy, but I've been a big fan of him since I randomly heard him speak of his book "Pagans in the Pews" about five years ago on the radio. I bought the book and greatly enjoyed it. Sometimes I feel many of the arguments of the proponents of the Emerging Church (and I probably include myself here, although I like the questions they are asking and focused on loving people, the theology is going from bad to worse, their biblical literacy and interpretation is brutal, and (especially Wallis) their link with politics is just too much for me) are simply cultural arguments. Not Jones, his defense of the Bible transcends cultural differences and gets to the heart of the matter, that of the struggle/battle of the two Kindgoms present in this world, the Kingdom of Satan and the Kingdom of God. His focus is on the promoting and defending God's Kingdom while pointing out the proponents of the Kingdom of Satan along with their fallacies and evil desires.

No comments: