Saturday, June 02, 2007

I like this quote taken from the latest Peter Jones NewCWIPP on Esoteric Spirituality:

A classic text from the Christian scriptures said this with surprising clarity two thousand years ago. This is no secret! There are only two kinds of religious people, those who worship and serve creation and those who worship and serve the Creator (Romans 1:25). These two kinds of spirituality describe the only two religious worldviews. They both require faith and service. They are mutually exclusive, and everyone must choose between them—but you would not know that from reading The Secret.

The age-old esoteric option, presented with such brilliant marketing skill in The Secret offers power, money, human “divinity,” the elimination of all things distasteful and the promise of a humanly-realized earthly utopia. However, it fails to take seriously huge issues that we ignore at our peril—human evil, physical death and the reality of God as separate from us, demanding our allegiance.

The exoteric option, found in the Bible, faces squarely the present reality of evil and the ugliness of death while finding final hope only in the Creator as the loving Redeemer.


Key here for me is the failure of the esoteric option not to address the problem of evil. That seems to be one of the key questions I hear most often from searchers or skeptics of the faith, and one that is easily answerable with a proper biblical worldview.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening good sir!

Every time I hear about these ridiculous, irrational fads like The Secret I almost cry due to the absurd humor of it all. These trendy practices and beliefs do one thing - they prove the Psalmist and the Apostle Paul right: “No one seeks for God.” And I like what Mark Earley, the president of Prison Fellowship, said of The Secret: “It repeats the oldest lie there is – ‘You shall be like God.’” How sad!

By the way, I FINALLY watched Hotel Rwanda. WOW! What an incredible film. Simple amazing.

God bless bro!

Adam

JPN said...

Hotel Rwanda is a great flick.

I have not read or seen "The Secret," who is the author?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought that’s what was being referred to in the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Jones citation. The Secret I’m referring to is a self-help film that hypes the supposed “The Law of Attraction,” a principle which holds that a persons feelings and thoughts have the ability to “attract” certain things to happen in their lives. The film also claims that this “secret” law has been kept out of the the hands of us common folk by those in power. It’s entire premise has no basis in reality, but when you have the spiritual leader of American woman and emasculated men – Ms. Oprah Winfrey – hyping the concept, you’re on your way to big bucks.

JPN said...

I think it was, I was just stating that I had not read or heard much about the book, I may have seen it on display at B&N. I've always said, whenever a book has a title that contains the word Secret in it my cynical nature immediately turns it off. I refuse to read McLaren's book "The Secret Message of Jesus." I remember Reid Ribble once stating that nothing in the ministry of Jesus was hidden, all was laid out bare for all to see, there are no secrets. I agree.