Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The more I think and discuss about the traditional way of "doing church" the more frustrated I become and the more I realize that the younger generations want nothing to do with it. I believe the boomers relate well to logical based reasoning and teaching, but younger evangelicals could care less.

For instance, a church in the area has Sunday school class on Creation, biblical and scientific reasons that it was literally 6 24-hour days. That's all fine and very important in my mind, but in reality, so what? What does believing in that get me? How does it affect me?

I don't think these classes go enough into the questions of how that affects our world today and how this gives us a greater appeciation of God. If we focus on the content without the meaning I think we are fighting a losing battle and I think that is how many churches go about this.

Furthermore, I don't think that was how the disciples and early church taught. For instance, let me use an example from Galatians where Paul references the two covenants, one with the bondwoman or Hagar and the other with the freewoman or Sarah. I'll let you read the text for yourself, but the purpose here is that after Paul is done teaching this truth, in 2:28 he writes that "we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise." Notice how he relates it directly to them and how and why this is important to them. Paul taught the church in Galatia an important truth from the OT and then used it to prove a point about this new life and freedom in Christ.

There is much more to be said here, but again the point is that the old method of teaching of Christianity as a "truth to be known" is not working and is not the method Jesus or the disciples used. Rather, let's teach Christianity as "a truth to be followed or lived" and I believe people will respond more appropriately.

No comments: