Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I picked up this week's edition of TIME today at school and was intrigued by the cover stating "The 25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America." Immediately I was hard-hearted since more and more I find myself distancing my way of thinking from that of most traditional Evangelicals. Pictures of Rick Warren, James Dobson, T.D. Jake, and Joyce Meyer don't conjure up images of heroes of the faith, nor do they move me to a deeper faith in Christ. If anything it's just the opposite. Yet in paging through the articles, I did find some people that I hold a deep respect for, though I may not know as much about them as I would like. One is Franklin Graham (who along with his father were grouped into one), others include Jay Sekulow (Center for Law & Justice) John Stott (author and principal framer of 1974 Lausanne Covenant), and Ralph Winter (whose work in US Center for World Mission and Frontier Mission Fellowship I am just becoming familiar with). Of course, all 25 are probably great men whose hearts began in the right spot, and who knows how I would handle the worldly success they have received. Again, my heart is more and more being separated from traditional evangelical thinking and moving more to a grass roots "who would Jesus spend time with and how would He act in this world" sort of thinking, much different than we find in typical Evangelical circles.

No comments: