Friday, January 13, 2006

I'm not in the mood to rant today, but I just can't pass up these opportunities from today's local paper:

It seems that the mayor of LA had deemed it the homeless capital of the nation. Ya think? There is no other place I'd go if I were homeless. Warm days, cool nights, what else do you want?

The editorial section contains a letter on the growing chasm between rich and poor in America, quoting Sandra Day O'Connor that the "strength of a democracy is judged by how those on the lowest run of the ladder are doing." I don't disagree with her at all, but then the author of the
letter quotes Princeton U economist Alan Krueger who wrote that "in comparison with other countries, the United States of America has fewer opportunities for advancement in regards to income distribution." I'm sorry, I don't know about his research or his intent by this statement,
but has he been to India and talked to the Dalits or Untouchables? What are their changes for advancement? How about those in the Kibera slums of Nairobi, whom I have talked to, I can't believe they stand a better chance of advancement, with little or no education, than an American with a guaranteed twelve years of free education. I just can't accept this.

Finally, I don't know much about the Packers new coach, Mike McCarthy, but he better be good, because he wasn't even on the radar of most local or national sports people. Usually I like it when they come up with a diamond in the rough, but I am very skeptical about this one. In
addition, his success may hinge on talking Bates into returning and Favre for one more year. He certainly has his work cut out for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Mr. Krueger should venture outside New Jersey a little more often. Your ideas about India and Kenya are dead on but even in France there is sooo much classism.