Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What do you think of this from TMQ?

The Athlete's Prayer: Every year between the college bowls and the Super Bowl, there's at least one major game that begins with some unctuous minister leading a prayer for victory. As a churchgoing Christian, I wince whenever I hear clergy appeal to the divine for success in sports. God doesn't care who wins games, while many sports prayers boil down to, "Lord, help me crush my opponent." For that matter public prayer contradicts Jesus, who taught, "Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Amen I tell you, they have received their reward. When you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Jesus often said of religious hypocrites or the rich that they "have received their reward," meaning they will not ascend to heaven – everything they are ever going to get, they already have.) At sports events, dedications and at the openings of legislatures, Christians routinely violate Christ's teaching regarding public prayer. Considering the rabbi Jesus even opposed prayer in synagogues, it can be argued that Christians contract Christ when they pray together in churches. Each time I read of Christian fundamentalists or evangelicals demanding prayer in public schools, I wince anew, since it suggests they know little about the actual ministry of their Redeemer. But don't get me started on ways in which Christians ignore the teachings of Jesus.

1 comment:

James said...

I tend to agree that most of the public display of Christianity by athletes turns me off. I thought Dungy handled it well for the most part, but the owner of the Colts was a little obnoxious. As for praying before events, I don't have problem with it as long as the prayer is one for safety, good sportsmanship, etc and also done in the locker room. I agree with TMQ that God isn't concerned with who wins. I played soccer at a Christian college so prayer was common place before and after games. In 4 years, only one occasion did the coach actually ask God to give us the strength to win the game (it was prior to heading into OT and we did actually win).

I've often thought about asking my basketball team to join me in prayer, but I'm not sure how that would go over in the public school setting. My guys make enough jokes as it is when we play parochial schools.