Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ten months before Sang died, the world cross-country championships took place in the coastal city of Mombasa, clear on the other side of Kenya. Brother Colm O'Connell wanted to give his students at St. Patrick's School in Iten a rare opportunity to see elite athletes in action. But the road to Mombasa is dangerous. Bandits patrol the long stretches of desolate terrain, which means breakdowns are potentially fatal. Corrupt police and bogus roadblocks also threaten motorists. So who could Brother Colm trust to safely shepherd a bus of innocent children to their destination?


My problem here is that I just drove this road last month and though my image of it is skewed since I am white and the police leave us along and I was in a fairly reliable vehicle during the day, I think the author drastically over-exaggerated the danger, which is not uncommon since he probably figures less than one tenth of one percent of people reading the article will have travelled that road, why not embellish a little? Good article, by the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great point. This is one of the reasons I trust John Stossel’s reporting so much. He does it, and then reports on it. Unbelievable I know. Like, I don’t know, trustworthy and real journalism.