Sunday, July 20, 2008

Unfortunately, this is all too common around Africa. As I mentioned in a recent post while in Kenya, I was amazed at the pure joy and adulation and cheering when my team brought in an envelop of Ksh1000 (just over $15) for each lady at a center for women with HIV who are recovering and receiving job skills and work. I was sort of ashamed when I was told this amount would be sufficient for them, and humbled when I saw their reaction. The good thing is that they will use it to feed them and their children, keeping them healthy for a few more weeks anyway. The problem, though, is that this is only a temporary solution and will only last until the organization we went with brings in more food or another group of Americans come in. That isn't a good solution to the problem.

I continue to read how much of an issue food is becoming in the developing world and saw it with my own eyes this year, with no mention of methods of solving the problem. I reflected on this last night when I went to the grocery store for my weekly stock-up session. Yes, food is costing me more as well, much more in some cases, but it means for me that I simply have a little less disposable income to go out to eat or to go and have a $4 cup of coffee, for the women and children in Kenya or Burkina Faso, it means going without, sometimes for a day, sometimes more, and sometimes it means selling yourself so you children can eat. I pray for these women and children and I pray for the situation, that the Lord may move His people to care and pray and love and give and develop methods and solutions so that this may not continue on the course I fear it is headed.

No comments: