Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Why, I continue to ask myself, do I torture myself with these movies? Tonight's was Welcome to Sarajevo, a 1997 film about the Bosnian war, mostly about the children and one man's heart and work to help them, ultimately getting one girl with him to England and others into Italy. Why, I continue to ask, do I live in such comfort and take it for granted while so many others live in fear, minute by minute, of their lives and the lives of their loved ones. I know this is cliche, but it haunts me, contantly. And I fuel that fire by continuing to watch the movies and read the books, but I desire nothing else.

A quote struck me...A UN official was asked why they aren't doing more for the war and more for the children and he responded by say that they were doing all they can, but at the time there were 13 places around the world that were worse off. Woody Harrelson's character responded by asking what those 13 countries were and if Sarajevo was moving up or down the list. Good Stuff!

No comments: