Monday, March 09, 2009

Last week I mentioned a Facebook Bible Study I'm participating in. I really like the author, think he is theologically sound yet very challenging in some of his thoughts. The following is one I'm not so sure about, interested to see where he takes it and how he supports it:

We must fearlessly move past our assumptions about Jesus and search for him anew in Matthew's words. Last week we began to try to understand the arching ideas of Messiah/Christ and the Kingdom of God (what Matthew calls the Kingdom of Heaven). Unless otherwise noted I will use the word "heaven" in the Matthean sense throughout this study. I will not be speaking of "heaven" as some other-worldly, postmortem happy state of being, but rather God's real and dynamic coming to earth through the presence and reign of Messiah Jesus. Heaven is partially here now and will be here fully when Messiah returns again to judge and reign. This, in my strong opinion, is Matthew's understanding of heaven. It includes the afterlife, because it is an eternal reign, but Matthew makes it clear that Jesus is abundantly more concerned with the present life than the life than proceeds physical death.

3 comments:

James said...

Care to expand on your thoughts?

What was that last sentence supposed to say "...more concerned with the present life than the life than proceeds physical death."

How's the study as a whole going? Is it something you'd do again? Would you ever lead one?

Unknown said...

JP
I don't know if we can claim that Jesus made this distinction of importance between life now and life in Heaven. It may seem that Jesus seems more pressing about life as we live it out now, but I think that is only because we aren't in Heaven yet. He was more concerned with life on earth simply because that is where his audience was living.

The 'kingdom of heaven', or the 'reign of heaven' was not made for earth as much as mankind was made for a fallen world. Jesus' teachings on the 'Kingdom of Heaven' seem very reminiscent of Deuteronomy before Israel entered the Promised Land. Yes, Israel got their instructions on how to live before they crossed the Jordan, but that is not to say that life before they crossed the Jordan was more pressing than life after they crossed the Jordan. In fact I may say the opposite is true, because the Law as we know it was made to coincide with the Land. Likewise the teachings of Jesus are meant to coincide with our existence in Heaven.

Just a thought, Let me know what you think?

Shalom,

Dan

JPN said...

Study is going great James, thanks for asking. I do think it would be something I'd be interested in leading at some point.

To respond, my concerns with the quote were with the last sentence, that Jesus was more concerned with this life than the after life. It is the exact opposite of what I've understood since I became a Christian, thinking this life was passing away, that we were to have an eternal perspective, etc. Two Scripture come to mind, related to the fact that the present reality with pass away or change, Matthew 24:35 and 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.

All that to say that I am changing a little in my eschatology paradigm. I am beginning to think that rather than heaven being this place up in the sky that we’ll go when we die, I’m moving quickly toward an image that the Lord will sort of complete a redo of the present earth and we’ll find that in heaven we’ll be back here on a perfected earth. N.T. Wright has a lot more to say of it in his book “Surprised by Hope” which I’m just getting into.

Dan, I’m not so sure on the fact that the present life was more pressing since that is the audience’s perspective. Didn’t we just talk last week that the purpose of Christ coming was the cross, and that he was pointing people to that reality? Wasn’t he moving people past their present struggles to the future full reign of God?

I do agree with your last sentence.

Thoughts are appreciated guys.