Thursday, March 12, 2009

VERY interesting article from the Christian Science Monitor. I know nothing about the organization or the author, but he brings up some interesting points. A few comments:

1) This does not surprise me at all, nor do I think this is a bad thing. I think the author is right that we have picked the wrong horse in the race and it is going to come back to bite us. He couldn't have said it any better, "We fell for a trap of believing in a cause rather than a faith."

2) One of the main things I want to pass on to my children is not the faith of the "churched culture" but rather the faith that transcends all understanding and is rooted in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and the love that God holds for His children. We've put our faith in systems and structures that are fallen and when they do fall, so does our faith. Along with that, we need to poass on a faith that will stand up to the coming grander secularization of the world that is taking place where Christianity will be a fringe faith in the West as it is in the rest of the world. That will be all right, true followers will be underground yet their faith will be strong and the Church will not miss a beat.

3) Love the following comment: A significant number, however, may give up political engagement for a discipleship of deeper impact.

4) My comments are fragmented, but as I reread the article I get excited for the future of Christianity in the West if the author is right, it seems that through the loss there will be great gains. Take a look and post your thoughts in the comment section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"[T]hrough the loss there will be great gains."

Amen!