Friday, March 13, 2009

One of the reasons I find calming in my travels to Africa is that historically Kenya has been one of the most peaceful African countries. Violence exists, but nothing like Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, Congo, etc. I still feel that way, but articles like this are making me much more wary.

Also, I hope to be blogging much more in the near future, at least until my Kenya trip in June. I'll be catching up on some reading and studies in prep for some teaching. Some of the blogging will be just for me to gather my thoughts, others to look for insights into some of my thinking. I hope to have some good dialogue on this site in the coming months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

JP,

It scares me as well. Kenya has had a history of peace as well as oppressive leadership. When Moi was president had a building in downtown Nairobi where it is known that he tortured people who didn't fall in line with his policies or maligned his presidency. It makes me wonder if these oppressive 'systems' still exist under the surface of Kenya's political scene?

And from what I've read and heard from friends, Raila Odinga is no man to trifle with.

D