Monday, March 08, 2004

I ran across this quote in Dallas Willard's book "Divine Conspiracy":

"...that the aim of the popular teacher in Jesus' time was not to impart information, but to make a significant change in the lives of the hearers...(vs.) a peculiarly modern nation that the aim of teaching is to bring people to know things that may have no effect at all on their lives...to want to merely 'know stuff' such as we usually get today out of a high school and college education would have been thought laughable...the teacher in Jesus' time-and especially the religious teacher-taught in such a way that he would impact the life flow of the hearer, leaving a lasting impression..." (112-113)

What this means to me is that all too often I go about teaching the wrong way. It's not the transfer of information that matters, or the correct interpretation of Scripture or the amount of verses memorized, it's the change of life that really determines what is learned, or the change in my life that the Spirit has enabled. This really speaks to me in how I run my classes at school as well as discussion groups with fellow Christians also how I live my life.

No comments: