Wednesday, March 24, 2004

I'm going to try to throw in some random thoughts, quotes, excerpts in the new few days. Here is the first:

* In 1912, William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, just before his death,wrote that he saw coming to the Church “forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration . . . a heaven without a hell.” How prophetic in our day of Universalism.

* I began reading this book two nights ago, "Young Evangelicals." It seems like a pretty good book. What I have found interesting so far is how the author has broken down the last hundred years of Evangelicalism into three parts, historical (orthodox, fundamentalists), pragmatic (seeker-friendly movement) and emerging or new evangelicals (house churches, simplicity, etc.). It strikes me how most people fit into these three areas. Not just a little, but perfectly. Take me for example, I fit into the new evangelical mold, perfectly. I wasn't taught this, this model has just been "me" since I became a believer. Why? I have no idea, but it does intrigue me. Hopefully I can find this out soon.

* My focus in my study in the near future is going to be on the words and teachings, in context, of Jesus. I'm going to lay off of the Epistles for a while and see what Jesus said, particularly in relation to His Kingdom. Dallas Willard wrote a lot about this in his book "Divine Conspiracy" and I want to see if what he wrote was accurate.


No comments: