Wednesday, March 10, 2004

I went to see "Miss Saigon" last night. It was my first big-time musical production, I enjoyed it, although not the $10 for the useless program (why do they always have to rip you off like that, we Americans just get taken and don't let it bother us). One thing really stuck out at me though:

The basis of the story comes down to the fact that this American GI fathered a child while he was serving in Vietnam for the war. He doesn't realize it until three years later, when he goes back to see the child. (This is a really bad description, I am trying to keep it short.) But the moral that I got out of it was that this was a child, a human being, that needed love and care and support from both parents, not just financial support. He was a human being, created by God, with infinite dignity, value, and worth! I say that again, he was a human being, created by God, with infinite dignity, value, and worth. It got me thinking, how many children are there in this world in this situation? I don't even want to think of the numbers. But God has seriously put two things on my heart in the past few years, one is Kenya and the other is children who are abandoned or neglected. I can't explain the pain I have for them. In "Four Souls" the authors write of being in one of Mother Theresa's orphange's in India. One of the men pick up a baby, who had some disease where she had a huge head but the body was tiny. Just a few months old, the baby clung to the man with affection, not letting go. He literally had to rip this baby away when it was time to go, at that young age she knew there may not be personal affection coming again for some time. I can't imagine this.

Another thing that this reminded me of. In "Night" by Elie Wiesel, he talks in the beginning of one of the most tramatic times of his imprisonment, eight simple words that changed his life forever: "Men to the right, women to the left." He would never see his mother or sisters again.

I guess what I am getting at here is the circumstances our fellow human beings around the world are born into, maybe never to get out of. This pains me, and I pray God gives me the opportunity (which is really there) and then the courage and boldness to help spread the Kingdom of God to these people.

No comments: