Thursday, December 23, 2004

I just finished watching "The Stepford Wives." Terrible movie, totally different than I expected. Basically just man-bashing. The men are the weaker sex so they program their wives to be "perfect." Then the program reverses and the women are "liberated" and the men have to do all the work again. Feminist...

Also finished reading "The United States of Europe." Great book! A few blogs ago I said I had no interest in Europe, since reading this book my mind has changed, if only for curiosity sake. Quite a continent and quite a revolution going on there from the sounds of it.

Just one point to elaborate on. The author talks a lot about their welfare system, high taxes, free health care, etc. He also stresses how much aid they send to foreign nations. It is really intriguing, but I can't let myself buy out to this system. There is no question in my mind that the private sector can do things better and cheaper than the government. There must be some control of course but why not let the people and the supply/demand dictate the prices and services. And with as much as they send in overseas aid, the world is getting worse and worse. That tells me that there is too much beaurocracy in the system and as my book proposal says, more can be done on a one-on-one basis.

Last, I have gotten well into Yoder's "The Politics of Jesus." It looks like his thesis is much different than I had imagined. Instead of pushing for a political Jesus who concerned Himself with government affairs, he is proposing that Jesus was political in the way of a revolutionary that the system of the day had to get rid of in order to maintain their control. That I can buy. Maybe that's why the current religious system had to get rid of Jesus as well, they couldn't control the people who put their hope and faith in Him!

No comments: