Sunday, December 19, 2004

What I was basically saying in my previous post is that I believe the goal of biblical teaching/obedience is to translate the teachings of Jesus into modern culture and that this can be a very difficult task.

How does one respond to opposition from within? If one is being opposed within a church, how does one handle this? How about within a culture? It seems that this was what Jesus experienced in His time on earth, he was opposed within His culture, religion, even within His family. How did He react?

It appears that He reacted by beginning a new social order, He commissioned twelve men to be leaders of this new social order and He taught them how it would be. Then He went back home and left behind the Church.

Much the same, today when we experience opposition or even apathy either from without or from within, it seems the logical thing to do is start something new. It doesn't have to be bold or radical, just a fresh start. I'm not against churches closing their doors or starting over if what they are doing is not working. The same with businesses or social groups, if what we are doing is not working, if we are not experiencing what we are longing for in a group or in life, and if this is due to dynamics or whatever, we can and I believe must start over. What is the option? Working through the problems sometimes bear fruit, but also frequently cause us to put too much energy into something that doesn't want to budge. Starting over may same time and energy and yield greater fruit.

What I'm saying here I don't really know, but it gets me thinking about my personal life. There are things I would like to change, and in essence it means starting over with quite a few things, like how I spend my time, what I devote myself to, etc. I believe this starting over will yield much greater relationships within my family and the family of God and yield much more fruit.

Now the hard part is actually doing it.

I end by claiming the right, as always, that what I write is by no means binding and I reserve the right to change my mind as soon as this is posted :)

No comments: