Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The following quote appeared in Thomas Kelly's "A Testament of Devotion," I ran across it last night:

Within the wider Fellowship emerges the special circle of a few on whom, for each of us, a particular emphasis of nearness has fallen... From each individual the bonds of special fellowship radiate near and far. The total effect, in a living Church, would be a significant intersection of these bonds to form a supporting, carrying network of a love for the whole of mankind.

What I get out of this is a further explanation of how the local church body needs to work. Through the gathering in the Spirit, relationships are formed, whether we call them small groups, cell groups, or just plain friendships, they are there. The key, as I hear from Kelly, is to take these groups (for lack of a better term) and integrate them throughout the fellowship. Not in any organized, programmatic way, but just seeking to build them up in community. For instance, what we are seeking to begin at our church is to just ask people to share their gifts. If people like to sing unto the Lord, and there is a group of people who like to play and lead this type of music, contact them, get together, and make it happen. Maybe there is a group of people feeding the hungry, and another group has a heart for that, get together and make it happen. For me, I lead the groups to Kenya, so anyone who wants to go will see me and we'll do it. There is one man who runs an organic farm, and others who like organic food, let's get them together. It's been called a Christian Co-op, where people share their gifts with the body. I think it'll take some time to get going, but I like the vision of it. This is what I see of what Kelly writes in his last sentence, "The total effect...would be a significant intersection of these bonds to form a supporting, carrying network of a love for all mankind."

2 comments:

E said...

The problem that I've seen with that is getting the interlocking circles instead of independent cliques. All people form groups of friends. It's getting these groups to interact. Ideally, you'd have multiple interests and interact with different groups with each, but often I see people just isolate themselves.

JPN said...

The thing is that we will never become close with everyone, there are some brothers and sisters I just can't get close to. I'm not a musician, I will not hang out with their group, but I might want to worship and sing unto the Lord, maybe they could lead me. We're looking for people to bring out their gifts to edify the body. That's when I think these bonds intersect and maybe not so much carry a love for all of mankind, but build up the body. We need to move from independent cliques, as you say, to a community of people unto the Lord, working together to love God and love and serve others.