Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Let me give you a few thoughts that have been passing through my head of late:

- I'm against "hate crime legislation," if someone commits a crime, it doesn't matter if it's against a man or woman, gay or straight, white or black, etc., justice needs to be done...

- I'm sick of the fact that everywhere I turn around I run into an article about the Dems complaining that the Reps aren't being fair to the poor, Sojourner even going so far to state that "Jesus wouldn't cut aid to poor." Of course, I'm not expert in this area, but for one Jesus wasn't a political figure (with due respect given to the stance taken by J.H. Yoder in "Politics of Jesus" when he argued that Jesus was a political figure in the sense that the established order had to get rid of them as he was a threat to them, what I mean is that he didn't go to Rome or even the Jewish authority and ask them to change the way they governed, he was more concerned with the governance of God in His Kingdom). And second, maybe Jesus wouldn't have cut aid to the poor, but I know what he would have done, he would have told you and me and everyone else to get off our butts and take some ownership in this problem. He would come into my house and say I probably had enough, that maybe I could do without some things. He would say the same to Bono and Jim Wallis, telling them to quit complaining about the government and get out and do some work.

- Another thing that really chapped me was an article I came across this morning about the trade of Carlos Delgado to the NY Mets. Supposedly, Delgado refuses to stand for the playing of "God Bless America," which I'm told is played occassionally at Met games (every 7th inning for the cross-town Yanks). What perturbs me is that whether his problem is that if his problem is with America (vs. God), he's got a lot of nerve. I hate it when people like him have no problem coming over to America and reaping the financial benefits of playing baseball (or whatever else their business is) but cut our country at every opportunity. You can always go back and play for $100 a month.

2 comments:

edluv said...

i hadn't read about delgado and not standing for god bless america. can you elaborate more on his reasons? is he speaking badly about the united states, does he stand for the national anthem?

frequently, i choose not to stand for the national anthem. i've gone back and forth on whether or not i stand. frankly, i strongly disagree with many of the actions of our government. i consider this a minor act of civil protest. occassionally, this act allows me to speak to friends about where i stand, or why i don't stand. on occassion, i do stand. when i am with my father, who is a veteran, i will stand to honor his sacrifices for this country even though i would not have wished for him, or any other, to have had to do what he has done. this is a personal decision, out of respect for him. during the national anthem, i sit respectfully quiet. i do not say the pledge of allegiance. my allegiance is to the body of Christ, not to this nation. yes, i am a citizen, i enjoy the benefits of being a citizen. part of these rights are being able to speak, and to speak my displeasure. i vote, i take part in civic life, i will not take an oath or swear allegiance to a nation.

these are issues of nationalism. but, he's not standing for God bless america? perhaps he finds it odd to ask God to only bless one nation, as if they were the chosen people. or, perhaps he chooses not to stand because he wants to bless where he is from. honestly, i don't like that many baseball teams are playing this song. not because i don't love God, but because i think it's fake. they didn't play this @ the 7th inning stretch before 9/11. the tradition is take me out to the ballgame. did people love God more or less before that event? do the love God more now? i doubt it. basically, this is an act of civil religion. God deserves better than lip service at a ball game.

i'll step off my soap box and stop ranting now.

JPN said...

Great points, and I agree!

Unfortunately, there were no reasons given for Delgado's decision, I sort of used this piece of news to rant a little myself, my point being that I don't enjoy people from other countries coming here and enjoying the benefits of our freedom and wealth but then ripping America at every chance.

That being said, I also agree, why play God Bless America during sporting events, sure, it tickles the throat a little, but what else is accomplished?

Like you, I have also struggled with the Pledge and Anthem. I choose to stand for the anthem as an expression of my gratitude to those who gave their lives for my freedom and those still serving around the world. I have more of a problem with the Pledge, we say it every morning before school, and every time I reflect on the words, "I pledge allegiance to the flag..." Should any Christian be able to say that, being citizens of the Kingdom of God first, then America. I understand the spirit of it and what we are saying, but I still struggle with it.