Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I am angry right now! Very angry! So angry about this situation that I find it difficult to speak or write coherently about it. I'm referring to the World Bank situation regarding Wolfowitz , his girlfriend, and those calling for his head.

Now, of course I don't know the entire situation, just what a few news outlets and magazines have written, each with their own side. Did he tell the powers that be that he was dating this girl before he took the job? Did they tell him to move her and give her the pay raise that was merited with such a move? Did he act favorably in accordance with their relationship? I don't know the answers to these or a myriad of other questions. What I do know is that the situation at the World Bank and the global development community is broken, and whether Wolfowitz is the man to fix it or not we are not sure, but it needs to be fixed or cease to exist. I'm sick of the 30% funding that is given to their poor countries ending up being siphoned off the top in bribes and another 40% being sent right back to foreign banks. I'm sick of the people who need the hand up the most received pennies on the dollar. I'm sick of the problems being exascerbated because we are not out to fix them, only prop up these evil regimes and keep the poor in control. I'm sick of it, I'm sick of it, I'm sick of it! This is not a political issue (though it's evolved into one), it's a people issue, and I've walked and talked with too many who need this hand up much more than the corrupt government offical needs a new Mercedes.

No comments: