Thursday, May 06, 2004

Ditto on that last blog about understanding love more now that I am a father. Maiya never talks on the phone but talked to me for a few minutes today, told me about her day, and told me she loved me. I could hardly understand her but it is the thought that counts. I see her vying for my affection more lately, please pray that I continue to realize this and put her before my other useless hobbies I like to spend my time on.

I didn't mean to go here, but I am thinking right now of how stupid and worthless it is to put one's time, especially if one is a Christian, in the meaningless things of this world. Here I am, a father of a beautiful little girl, I have the power, according to research, to play a large role in how she will grow up, and here I am sitting at the computer in the evening ignoring her as she is trying to get me to play with her. I make myself want to puke.

What I meant to write about today was my struggle trying to balance having non-believers at our Sunday gathering with keeping it just to believers. I see the purpose and believe strongly that believers need time just to hang out by themselves. Yet I also see biblically that Paul told the Christians in Corinth to behave themselves in case non-believers were present (which means they were welcome at the gatherings?) and how in Acts 2 three thousand were saved when they saw how the believers lived.

What really got me thinking on this was Robert E. Webber's comment in his book "Younger Evangelicals" that "Evangelism is not 'come to Christ and then to church' but 'come to church and then to Christ.'"

Like I said, I see both sides, right now I am going to stay with the former but think more on the latter.

No comments: