Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I'm getting old and with that old age (along with sore bones and muscles) I am getting much more sappy. I want to cry all the time. I can be watching a game and want to cry, a movie, whatever, I feel tears welling up inside of me. Reading Philip Yancey brings me to a total mess. What's going on?

I also came across this paragraph in the book "Every man's battle":

"God forgot what we forgot - namel, the curse of Eden is a grinding curse. Life is a steamroller, making pancakes of conditions and easily mashing the naive contracts we create. In our dreams for marriage, maybe we forgot that we would still have to work long hours by the sweat of our brow to eat, and that we wouldn't always see each other as much as we wish. Maybe we forgot that we will sometimes be beaten up and used by bosses, our minds so numb we just don't want to talk when we get hom. Maybe we forgot that with the pain in childbirth comes bodies that never regain their former shape."

I think every couple thinking of marriage should reflect on this quote. It also wouldn't hurt every couple in general to discuss this.

No comments: