Thursday, July 21, 2005

I'm on the "Sojourner" email list, meaning I receive a good load of garbage every week from that organization. I will admit that some of it is very good, however, an example of which is shown below, regarding the messages we, especially children, get from the media:

And what are the messages they receive? Dr. David Walsh, author of Selling Out America's Children: How America Puts Profits before Values and What Parents Can Do, identifies six key values that dominate mass media. It is hard to argue with his list:
1. Happiness is found in having things.

2. Get all you can for yourself.
3. Get it all as quickly as you can.
4. Win at all costs.

5. Violence is entertaining.
6. Always seek pleasure and avoid boredom.

I can see the truth in that, I even agree with some of it. Now, how to prevent myself and my children from falling further and further into that abyss of Western thought...

No comments: