Monday, July 11, 2005

There are some things in life you will never forget. Another one happened to me yesterday. I was biking home from returning some movies and going past a house that in the past I have sensed some domestic issues. On the way through, I heard, clear as day, "Don't f....ing talk to me when I am on the phone, I was just on the phone with grandma and you were f....ing talking to me." This from what appeared to be a middle-aged lady. At first, the optimist in me told me the lady was talking to her husband or another adult. But the pessimist won out, telling me she was talking to her child who must have been shrieking in fear. I wanted to do something, but I knew all I could do was pray as my heart went out to that young one. Dear Lord, surround yourself around that household, let that child know how much you love him or her, wrap them in your arms of love, set your peace on that house, not only for the children, but for the adults as well. Let reconciliation and redemption take place, as only you can!

A good quote from the Center for Parent and Youth Understanding's quaterly newsletter:
"...notes that while many of our kids are committed to causes like human rights, the environment and global awareness, there are general youth trends affecting our young people, our school, and our world that are very alarming...these include violence and vandalism, stealing, cheating, disrespect for authority, peer cruelty, bigotry, bad language, sexual precocity and abuse, increasing self-centeredness, declinling civic responsibility (leave it to the government - JP) and self-destructive behavior."

As a teacher and one who works a lot with youth, I would have to sadly agree.

No comments: