Friday, July 08, 2005

Well, we brought Maiya home this morning. It's been very surreal, it's going way too well. She sleeps all day, Lisa feels great, Maiya is transitioning pretty well, we're really waiting for the bottom to drop out on us. We do know it will get harder as she gets a little older, but we're enjoying it for now. We took a walk this evening and agreed that if we have another child (I'm happy with two) that we would for sure try to have it in summer again. It's so unwinding to be able to walk outside on a beautiful night rather than being a prisoner in your own home on those dreadful winter nights.

Regarding that post I made earlier this week, the one linking the article, I want to clarify what I think of it. First, as I posted, I found it very interesting, and part of my agrees with what the author is saying. We do have way too much in America and I do believe it has led to complacency and ignorance on the part of the church. However, on the other hand, I don't think that we should feel guilty about the things that we have. I don't think God desires that for us, I think that comes from the Enemy. Now, if the Holy Spirit is leading us to live a simpler life, we should obey and simplify where He calls. But if we are content and aren't hoarding and understand everything is the Lord's, we shouldn't feel guilty, just be ready to give when the Lord leads.

I'll end with this example that I think it pertinent. The author, as they all do and I have in the past, cites third world poverty and depravity as our encouragement to live simpler and give more. However, a recent thought interested me on this matter. I'll be going to Kenya in less than three weeks, and the Lord has raised up around $2000 for me to be able to give to the people. Part of that Dan (the gentleman going with me) and I want to buy some new suits for some pastors who are grossly underpaid to help them out a little. Now, their response will be ecstatic, they will relish in this opportunity for some nice new threads. Notice that they won't decline on the count that there are hungry people around them and the money would be better served going to them. No, they'll praise God for what He has given them and seek to serve Him even more. And we shouldn't always worry either. Sometimes we have to take the blessings of the Lord and praise Him for what He has given us.

No comments: