Monday, July 10, 2006

What Do I Do?

So I head to the grocery store tonight at around 10:15 to do some major shopping, we had nothing in the house to eat. While I'm there, I notice a couple with two young kids (around one and a half and four). The guy seemed really mad as I walked by him (he was apart from the family), but other than wondering why their kids were out so late I thought nothing of it. As I'm about to leave I remember that I have to get some things for Kendyl in the Natural Foods section on the other side of the store. So I head over there and hear some kids talking, playing, and then hear a loud "Quiet!!!" and the kids immediately cease any noise. I walk toward the family on the way to the checkout and notice the mother and father both visibly angry, both looked like they were almost crying, and talking about 15 feet away from the kids who were in the cart. The guy walked away like he was going to leave a few times (I continued to watch them as I was in line, even walking back to get more bread to make sure everything was all right). My concern was for the children. I wish I could describe the feeling I get in a situation like this when I see parents fighting and the kids present, especially in public. I think it stems from the looks of concern on the faces of Maiya and even Kendyl and their reactions when Lisa and I have our little arguments. I stayed at the store as long as I could to convince myself everything was going to be all right and then I had to head home.

Here is my thing, my heart went out to the kids and even the adults. For the kids, I know that they want nothing more than to see their parents get along and receive the long they deserve. For the parents, I understand how hard marriage relationships much less adding two kids to the mix can be. What do I do? Should I have approached the couple and asked if I could help? I obviously asked the Lord to help the situation, providing His peace and comfort not only to the kdis but also the parents. What else is there to do? That's the major question on my mind.

As I got into the truck to head home the U2 song "Where the Streets Have No Name" came on and the first lines to that song really sum up my feelings:

I wanna run, I want to hide
I wanna tear down the walls
That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name.

I'm in what Morrie Schwarz might call a tension of opposites. On one hand I want to run from all of the crap in this world. I want to get away from it all. Yet I also want to reach out. I want to talk to these people, share Christ's love and peace with them, hold the hands of the kids and play with them, show them a normal life. I've said this before but I'm a tormented soul on the inside, thanks be to God for the grace (and hope) given to us in Christ Jesus.

**Note, I do know this could have been some isolated incident and I may be thinking way too far into it, yet I know this happens far too often in this world and my concern extends far beyond, yet not excluding, this family**

2 comments:

edluv said...

wow. that's tough.

i've been trying to think of an answer, and i'm trying to think of anything similar i've encountered.

the best i could come up with is to have offered to pray with them. you know, approach in as nonthreatening way as you can, and just offer if you can pray with them. not offer advice, condemnation, etc, just prayer.

they may tell you to go do something to yourself, or they may accept. or maybe they'll just realize that now isn't the time or place to have a big fat fight.

Adam Nate said...

My "tension of opposites" is (1) wanting to kick the piss out of the old man and then, as he's lying on the floor with a busted lip, broken nose, and two severly swelling eyes, gently explain to him what a poor example of a man he is to his children in so many ways (I would also like to shake the shit out of the woman as well, since I would never hit a woman - HT Chris Rock) and (2) knowing that what this gentleman probably needs is the Lordship of Jesus Christ and the desire to tell Him about my King. Tough stuff bro. I feel your pain.