Thursday, November 23, 2006

Finally, this makes me sick, because he is all too right!


Another Way In Which Dogs in America Live Better Than People in Parts of the Developing World:

One breakthrough in antibiotics is a class of chemicals called cephalexins, which kill both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, yet have minimal side effects. Discovered in 1948 by an Italian chemist, cephalexins – most common trade name Keflex – were not widely available until the 1970s. By the 1980s, word was out on this drug's combination of effectiveness and minimal risk. Parents began saying, "Doctor, please give my child Keflex." Why do I mention all this? First, this is Tuesday Morning Quarterback: I don't have to have a reason. Second, recently I took Geneva, the brainless Official Dog of TMQ, to the vet. And they gave her – Keflex. From miracle drug for people to pills for the dog! The problem is that in many parts of the developing world, parents still plead, "Doctor, please give my child Keflex." American parents might soon plead, "Doctor, please give my child Claforan or Cefcatacol,"
these being advanced cephalexins that work against the antibiotic-resistant germ strains found in hospitals. How long before American dogs get Cefcatacol while developing-world patients still plead for Keflex?

No comments: