Wednesday, November 08, 2006

In the words of Joe Boyd, what I write in the following is more for me that you. I need to get some thoughts down in writing. Feel free to comment, but know that this is a process I need to go through for myself.

This is the first of what I hope will be a two-part series. The second is on the issue of pain and suffering and a reaction to a few books that my students have been reading that have very pertinent cultural issues in that I feel the need to respond to.

In light of the election yesterday, I wanted to put in writing a few thoughts on the issues, especially in light of my getting blasted for not voting. It was my conviction not to vote this year as I didn't particularly like any of the candidates,I agreed and disagreed with all of them on their various issues, and in good conscience I didn't feel comfortable voting in any specific way. I don't feel the Reps have been true to their ideals and party platform (DUH!) and on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the beliefs of the Democratic Pary. I could have been like some people I know and not had any clue on what I was voting for but just went and filled in a couple of bubbles to say they voted, I chose not to do that. Hate me if youwant, but it what the choice I made.

In addition to getting blasted for not voting, I was told that I had to vote straight Rep anyway because of the abortion issue. Really? In the past two years or six years of the Rep dominancy of the government, what has been done to curb this issue? Sure, two conservative Supreme Court Justices were appointed, but have we heard the A-word since then in a non-election related sense? I didn't think so.

For the record, I believe abortion is wrong, it is murder, a fetus is a living, breathing baby and in an ideal world, it would not exist. We do not live in an ideal world. Do I believe it should be outlawed, yes! Do I think that realistic, no! If wemake it illegal, it will still happen, and that will break my heart. I believe as Christians it is not our duty to work through the government to get our way, rather our duty is to bring people to a living relationship with Christ in which their hearts will be changed and under the influence of the Holy Spirit working on their lives the decisions theywill make will reflect their relationship with Christ. Will a law accomplish that? I don't believe so. I've said for many years that we can't expect non-Christians to follow the law of the Bible, how can they without the working of the Spirit on theirlives. Heck, I go to the Spirit often for guidance and direction and I still fall short, we all do.

The issue in my mind, then, with abortion as with same-sex marriage and a plethora of other issues is the justification of the issue. Yes, they are wrong in the eyes of the Lord, the Bible seems to state that pretty clearly, so the problem in my mind iswith those who justify these actions. If one has an abortion (whether now if legal or forty years ago when illegal) and is repentant later and goes to Jesus for forgiveness and has a change of heart as she follows Him, He will forgive her, grace will beextended. If one is militant and radical in this process and her heart is hardened, there will be consequences for that person, both now and at Judgment.

There is a delicate balance we must take on these issues, proclaiming the truth of God's Word while also being sensitive that in a fallen world we fall short just as the next person. The only difference that I see between me and the next guy is that I realize I fall short and go to Christ for forgiveness and with full trust in my eternal salvation while the next guy might stick out his tongue at the Lord and seek to do it on his own will to no avail. We all sin, we all fall short of a holy and righteous God, no one is righteous, not even one, the sooner both Christians and non-Christians realize that and realize the love and grace awaiting us when we realize our state and repent the better we all will be.

No comments: