Thursday, November 23, 2006

Two articles in last week's Time caught my eye:

1) Can I be honest and say that I am concerned about the economical future of the US? Can I say I am scared? I try to balance this with the realization that I am a citizen of a different sovereign Kingdom and this world should bring no worries to Christians. Yet it does, and was reinforced last week in this Time article, I believe the end of the fat American pocketbook and balanced portfolio is about over. This whole baby-boomer retirement and drawing their assets out of the housing and stock markets worries me and could lead to a major recession. As the article states, ""New homes are selling at a slower pace, and prices have fallen. Buyers are walking away from signed deals (and their deposits) at twice last year's rate." Everyone knows
this housing boom couldn't last, how much further is can prod along is another question. Though admittedly very unknowledgeable in this area, my gut is telling me that foreclosures and prices are going to drop rapidly, with all housing take a major dip in value. We are fortunate not to have bought over our means or have concerns about being able to make the payments, but one thing I like to have is equity in a home and if prices fall that will be gone. My prayer is that I don't worry or focus too much on this, but it's a reality I believe will come and should be prepare for.

2) Who wouldn't want to read this book? It reminds me of my friend who corrected his sons when they said they wanted to be rich like Michael Jordan, he said that was fine, but he wanted to be the guy who could afford to pay Michael Jordan that kind of money. Though I don't know about his conclusion or solution, I guess I'll have to read the book to make a judgment.

FORTY MILLION DOLLAR SLAVES
WILLIAM C. RHODEN
Don't equate the fat contracts of today's African-American athletes with power, Rhoden argues in this provocative book. The white owners and agents are still calling most of the shots. Rhoden blames today's black athletes for failing to acquire real control and Michael Jordan for approaching black causes "with an apathy that borders on treason." The solution? Rhoden proposes an intersport, black-athlete trade association. That, he says, would really put the ball in the black players' hands.

No comments: