Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Undoubtedly everyone has read the stories coming out of Texas and the polygamist compound where the women are leaving in droves. Praise God! I'm glad this is dominating the news, I'm glad people are hearing how destructive of a religion this is, and I pray that the women and children get the proper counseling and love that they need and the men get the proper punishments they deserve.

One other thought: This whole issue of whether the government should step in and shut this down puts me in somewhat of a quandary. One one hand, I absolutely feel that these compounds are destructive, that they prey on the innocent women and children that are held as prisoners and treated as slaves in these places, and need to be shut down, no questions asked. All one needs to do is read Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven to realize the depth of the depravity of this situation. But on the other hand, I do want the government to stay out of our lives as much as possible. For example, I want them to allow parents to homeschool their children, but I won't be surprised if the government places tighter restrictions on this in the very near future. I want people to be able to live as they would like, without the government intervening on their lives. But the key is I want this to happen as long as it doesn't harm anyone involved, and that is where the argument happens. Do these compounds harm the women and children? I'd argue vehemently yes. Is homeschool appropriate for everyone, do all parents use this option for the best possible means? Of course not, so when and where does the government step in? I'll say for one I'm glad they did here and I hope this leads to more and more women and children coming out of these compounds and living in the freedom that these deserve.

No comments: