Thursday, February 16, 2006

SNOW DAY!

Slate had an interesting article today on why more and more people in Connecticut are foregoing marriage by the droves. One point caught me:
But it's also because there is a correlation between one's education level and one's openness to untraditional values, and so the highly educated may be more likely to see nothing morally wrong with shacking up in lieu of marriage.
I find this interesting, why is this? Why is there a direct relationship between education level and trashing of traditionaly or moral values? I for one almost think it would be the opposite, that the more educated, the more one would see the need for morals, we base our society on it, without it we have nothing but anarchy, the educated should understand that, I would think the uneducated would laugh at that. I must be missing something here.

Finally, I'm taking my last class in seminary right now and it has become the most elementary class I have taken. I'm reading the book "How to Read a Book" and listening to a lecture on academic commandments, including "you shall not miss class," you shall pay careful attention during the lecture period," "you shall persist in your education" and so on. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I would not be spending the money nor putting in the time I don't have nor have gotten to this point in my education without understanding that those things are important. Last week I had to listen to a two-hour lecture on syntopical reading, which is basically reading a bunch of books in the same area and then making conclusions based on them. Come on, that's all I've done for the past three years! Had I not been able to do that, I wouldn't be here now. So I wrote my prof an email this morning explaining why I have become so apathetic in the class, I hope he takes it the right way, I made sure Lisa read it before I sent it out to be sure it wasn't too terse. I've including the text below:

Good Morning Mr...,

We have a wonderful thing here in WI occassionally called "snow days." Today is one of those, we are expected almost a foot of snow, so no school for me. It's nice, but I was hoping for one tomorrow instead, but beggars can't be choosers.

Having said that, I have the time and thought it appropriate to respond to your appropriate comments on my answers from last week's assignment. I want to say that I agree with the comments you have made, and I did want to take some time to explain myself.

First, I understand that this is both a gradute and undergraduate class, but I have found much of the... lectures and... reading more appropriate for the undergrad level. For instance, right now I am listening to... lecture on "Academic Commandments." While no doubt very true in what he is saying, this is much more pertinent to a first year college student. For the stage I am at, having a BA and this being my last class before earning my MA, I would no doubt have loved to have a class like this my freshman year in college. But again, I could not have gotten to this point in my education without utilizing the principles... are discussing.

Second, having said that, this has led in some ways to an apathetic attitude for me in this class. I don't like that, but it has been the reality. I found this specifically in last week's questions, for instance the first question, the costs and benefits of putting in the bare minimum versus going all out in a class are obvious, I find a hard time expanding on a question as such. Having looked at this week's questions as well, I know that for number one, a question of what I could do to become a more active learner, I know exactly what I need to do, and I'll answer accordingly. Again, I'll find it hard to expand more than what the question has asked.

Finally, as I have stated, I thought your comments on my work has been appropriate, I simply thought it right to let you know where I am coming from and where I stood at this time. I am looking forward to some of the later lecture and discussions, and I realize that we have to set the table for that.

Thank you for your time.

No comments: