Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm now 0-2 on flights this year. My scheduled 11:58 flight from ATW to MSP this morning got onto the runway where it was discovered that the right engine (with was a propellor, haven't been on one of those in a while) wasn't gauging correctly, so we had to de-plane and reschedule. I made it to MSP, now waiting to get to LAX. At least they upgraded me to first class, it's been a while since I've sat up there.

I saw next to a gentleman in his mid to upper 30's on the way here and in the five talkable minutes he had before being shut down, I think he called every co-worker he had to tell them his Blackberry was down so if they had an urgent into to share they should tell him now. He said this loud enough for the whole plan to hear. I think even the guy with him was embarrassed. I swear this was his first business trip and he had to let everyone know he was out of the office and he may be missed. I'm sure he wasn't.

The other guy next to me acted like he was so above this all. He had also reschedule and just looked to be very arrogant. Dude, if you are that rich and you travel that often, you should be in first class or on a private jet, don't act like you are better than the rest of us! Yancy wrote about this in one of his earlier books, describing an elderly lady on her first flight playing with the lights, exclaiming "they give you peanuts!" and opening and closing the shades on the window, amazed at the scenery from 35000 feet. Most passengers rolled their eyes, Yancey appreciated her child-like outlook and attitude. I too often am the other passengers, may I be more like Yancey.

Finally, as I have a few minutes here and there I'm watching "Contact" for one of my classes. With the situation from this weekend and the fact that Jodie Foster's father dies early in the movie (and I am now 30) I seem more in tune with my mortality of late. Every little twinge in my chest warns me of a heart attack, I fear leaving my wife and children behind, I read articles in the paper that describe accidents far less catastropic than mine that resulted in the deaths of all parties involved. I don't know what to make of this, my prayer is "Lord, if you want me, I am ready, as much as I'd like to stay around here and enjoy your Creation for a while, I know that life with you is unimaginable and I do look forward to it. May your will be done."

No comments: