Saturday, March 25, 2006

I'm torn on this issue. I am all for immigrants coming into this country to make a better life for themselves and sending money back to their friends and families in the home country. My problem is that we have a system for allowing them in, although I hear that it is still very hard for them to get in legally. I am concerned about the tax it puts on our social services when they don't pay taxes and drain the funds of our communities. I also see the biblical mandate to "protect the alien among you." It's sure more of a gray issue.

2 comments:

edluv said...

one thought: although illegals don't pay social security they do pay into the public system. sales tax gets us all. and, since people buy food, pay rent, bills, etc, htey do contribute to the economy.

JPN said...

Great point, and another reason I'm for a larger sales tax and less income and property. I know it can be a regressive tax as the assumption is that the poor will pay more taxes, but they will also buy less, thus putting the burden on the rich as the major consumers.