Friday, March 10, 2006

"The present Western policy of playing down genocide and hoping it will peter out has proved to be bankrupt practically as well as morally. Granted, there are no neat solutions in Darfur. But ignoring brutality has only magnified it, and it's just shameful to pretend not to notice the terrified villagers here, huddling with their children each night and wondering when they are going to be massacred."
- Nicholas Kristof, columnist, writing from the Chad-Sudan border of increasing violence by Sudanese militias in the region, including cross-border raids against villagers in Chad.


I don't know Kristof, I've heard the name but I don't know where. I don't know if he is liberal or conservative, religious or not, etc. All I know is that I agree with the statement he just made and the truth thereof. Can you imagine living under those circumstances?

No comments: