Monday, June 19, 2006

A quick prelude to the following post: I am going through the Psalms right now and having a hard time relating to the messages being written. They are so foreign to me. If I lived in the Sudan or the Middle East or China and experienced that persecution, I might be better able to relate, but I can't.

Having said that, yesterday was "recovery Sunday" at our church. I was skeptical, I don't know why but I didn't have a good feeling about this, things can get out of hand. But I was wrong. Four people got up and shared for around 45 minutes their struggles with alcohol and drug addictions and how the Lord had or was bringing them out of that. POWERFUL!

One lady in particular stood out to me. She talked about being abused emotionally, physically, and sexually from the time she was four. Maiya is four. She has a daughter who is four. She said her brother used to do things to her that she couldn't even speak of. She turned to alcohol and drugs to numb the pain, she needed an escape. She said she called out to God but in her surroundings and addictions didn't feel His Presence. Broke me right down.

Back to the Psalms, hearing her story, I can relate to the anger expressed at the evil of the days, as I share them right now. A prayer:

Dear Father, please be with those young boys and girls right now who are lying awake hoping that they don't hear the footsteps of the father or brother walking down the hall. Be with them as they hear the doorknob turn, ease their pain not with drugs or alcohol but with your peace, mercy, and compassion. Let them know you are there. Let them know you are a loving and just God and that this evil will be repaid. As David asked for wings like a dove to fly away, give them that as well. Restore them to your Kingdom, let them know of the power of Your redemption. When they call to you, speak to them, give them the peace of God that transcends all understanding. Most of all, protect them from evil and from the evil one, may I never forget them in my prayers. Let them know they are not alone, they are not at fault, and that we are praying for them. Help them to open up and seek help, help them to seek You. AMEN.

3 comments:

JPN said...

I have to believe God will work this all out in the end and extend them an extra measure of grace.

Anonymous said...

I realize speaking about justice to someone doesn't sound like it is enough. However, it is the right answer AND NOT explaining justice to someone in pain CAUSES them to get NO answers...or worse answers.

The Bible is pretty clear on these issues: forgive EVERYTHING so that justice can work for you.

The Bible doesn't say: just forgive the little things people do to you, but hold on to the big things.

I've had quite a week in this area. I posted an article on theooze and have had two homosexuals write me in private telling me the awful things that have happened to them and what they've gone through.

I wrote the "justice, uniqueness, reward" explanation and both felt it was what they needed to hear and felt it would help in the future.

We want an answer that works immediately in the short term. God is ALWAYS focused on the Long Term.

Adam Nate said...

Perhaps asking "why," while not a bad question and one that does require an answer, isn't always the only and best question. I like how Greg Boyd put it,

"Evil in this world is not caused by God. Instead of asking 'Why is the world the way it is?', ask how God, using us, can change it."

This is not to ignore the "why," but to also ask the "how."