Monday, August 28, 2006

It's really amazing how lazy I get toward the end of summer. The past week I have done nothing but mope around here and sleep as much as I could. I slept in, napped in the afternoon, and went to bed early, with relatively nothing accomplished in between. I chased the kids around a little to appease them (and Lisa), but did little else.

Now as I prepare for school tomorrow I feel a sudden burst of energy. I get like this every year. I really long for the routine and social opportunities that come with working. A few years ago a friend was out of work for a year and he really struggled with it, more than just financially, and I always thought that weird. I would love to sit home, I thought, be a dad, hang out, etc. But now I know differently. I need to work, I need to produce, I need a routine, I need something to get me out of bed in the morning. I love my summers, but three months is sure enough. I always liked the Kenyan way of doing education: class January through March, April off; class May through July, August off; class September through November, December off. It's too bad the tourism industry rules the roost in this state and this country.

So it's off to work tomorrow with mixed emotions. Longing to get back into routine, but also some sorrow as it'll be less time with the kids. Maiya starts pre-school as well, so that'll add to the fun around here, I think she's looking forward to it, I'm looking forward to how she'll do and react to school. It's only three days a week for a few hours, but it'll be good for her and good for us to see what we'll do with her for the next few years, whether we go with public school or put her in one of the local private (Lutheran/Christian, charter, etc.) schools. We just pray that she is safe, progresses in her learning, and finds makes some great friends along the way. It's really been a nightmare for me over the past few years as I've known this day would come, and I worry that she won't have friends, that she'll be "that kid" that no one wants to invite to the parties, etc. She doesn't have to be miss popular, but I hope she is liked and finds a close-knit group of friends and her youth is filled with good memories.

What am I saying, she's four! But, she is four, going on five, and this is when the foundation for her life is raise. God, please give us strength and grace for this time.

Enough rambling, I'm out.

2 comments:

James said...

I feel your pain bro, although, to be honest, I wouldn't mind another week or two. I'm sure once I get back in the groove I'll be glad though. Hope you had a good first day.

JPN said...

The day went great! I really love certain parts of my job, mainly the parts that don't involve naughty kids!