Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Quick update from Toronto:

Got to the conference early this morning only to return after I decided all morning sessions were nothing but junk. The late morning and early afternoon were a little better, but not much. I'm finding that this crowd is very anti-religious, pro-homosexual (almost militaristic on both counts), and seems focused on reacting to the situation with drugs rather than preventing HIV/AIDS with sound education and decision-making. I understand the need to help those already living with the disease, but let's balance that out with proper discussions on how to prevent its spread. Oh well, I've gotten a lot of time to reflect on Tumaini and some thoughts on how to better the VBS and other aspects of the ministry. I'm excited for our meeting in October.

I've found Toronto to be a very nice city, and believe me, Lisa and I have walked the entire city center a few times over. I also remember reading in my Urban Ministry class last summer how international of a city Toronto was, and that intrigued me. Being here first-hand, I can verify that fact.

Back at it tomorrow, here's to some better forums and discussions!

1 comment:

Adam Nate said...

Did the "militaristic" anti-religious (probably more anti-Christian I would assume) and pro-homosexual views REALLY surprise you? Should it REALLY surprise us that the Creator of all had no place there? That the Name that is above ALL names has no place there? I recall Franklin Graham writing of his frustration on this account at a similar conference where he spoke.

For Christians, there should be no shame to use the Name. And we ought to be very suspect supporting any organization or movement that doesn't have a Christ-centered worldview and vision. Am I wrong?