Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sorry for the lack of posts of late, been trying to catch up since I've returned but the sleep has been absent and I'm feeling a little down. I was a little concerned about having malaria, but coming out of it the last few hours, so I'm hopeful.

Well, I'm home, sort of. Lisa and I arrived in Toronto yesterday morning for the Int. Aids Conference. I caught the end of Clinton's speech and was too tired for much else. I fully to hit the conference hard this morning but got there bright and early and found there was nothing but junk going on, people talked about microbes and such. Of course, in a little more than an hour there are about five presentations going on that I want to see, I'll have to pick and choose and hopefully hit a little of each of them. So far, though, I'm underimpressed, the focus seems to be reactive (how can we cure those who have AIDS) instead of proactive (how can we prevent the spread of the disease). We'll see how it ends.

Back to Kenya, I've had some time to digest and have come up with the following conclusions:

1) I'm still not sure where I stand with Japheth's ministry. As I've mentioned, I believe he is trying to recreated the Western church with big buildings, sound systems, etc. and overusing his connections to America. What I see is that many are following him due to that and not because of Christ. I need to address this with him. In addition, I don't know how much more I can take of repeatedly, repeatedly being asked for money, tickets to America, gifts, etc. I don't know if I mentioned this but on the last day we were with Japheth we were about to leave and his daughter Jacinta came home from school for the day. Japheth said she wanted to talk to me so I stayed behind for a short time and she did some small talk and then asked me for around $1200 for her school fees, like I was to have it on me at the time. I can see how a father wants his daughter to be educated, but I believe he has the funds coming in, he may just need to budget and prioritize accordingly. Sorry for the rant, it helps me to get these things out.

2) I do know one thing for sure, three ministries I will continue to work with are HEART, Tumaini, and a new one we visited, ITeams Kenya Refugee Ministry. There is some great stuff going on there, too much for me to write about.

3) Finally, I know that I seemed very depressed and sour in my correspondence from the trip, but overall I do have good memories of our time there. For some reason I got more homesick this time than any before, next year, if there is a next year, I have told Lisa she has to go with me, if even for a short time. We'll see.

Thanks for your prayers and support!

No comments: