Sunday, September 24, 2006

Did I mention how much I hate ND? They are the kind of team that plays like crap for three quarters and then scums out in the end. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So two years ago I chaperoned Prom at my high school and was amazed when not only did the DJ play "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent but also put up the video on the big-screen.

Then last year when I chaperoned Spree and it was Kid Rock and "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" on the big screen.

Tonight at Homecoming it was Kanye West and "Gold Digger." Have you ever seen that video? What do you think 892 high school kids at a dance are doing when that song it on and the video on the screen? Unbelievable.

I'm no prude, but I don't think that should be up there. I'm all right with the songs, but the visual encourages the licentious. Am I wrong?

2 comments:

James said...

I hear you on ND. I couldn't believe when I got home and looked at the score and how they won.

Music lyrics have always been a struggle for me. I listened to rap primarily growing up. I was aware of the lyrics, and I felt like they did not influence decisions I made. Sometimes I did feel convicted about the words, but it always seemed like a different world. Today, it seems like with the breakdown of the family, kids are looking elsewhere to shape who they are. Therefore, they do mimic what they see and here. You think it's bad for high school students, I've been at our middle school dance and watched 6-8 graders know the words to every song you mentioned.

In the end, I'm not sure what the answer is, but a good discussion topic.

JPN said...

Yeah, when we were in high school hip hop/r&b was just coming into its own. I remember Snoop releases Doggystyle when I was a junior. I listened to it, but couldn't tell my parents and it sure wasn't played at the prom.Then when I was a senior Baby Got Back was the song. Today this music has become more accepted and is the norm, so times have sure changed. And you are right, not only does every student know the words but also the meanings behind them.

Also interesting, our theme was Mardi Gras and every student got beads upon entering the dance. The other advisor and I were a little worried about the background of that, but we didn't think too many kids would know what you have to do to get beads in NO. It wasn't an issue.