Sunday, September 10, 2006

Props go out to the History Channel, Discovery Channel, and even CNN of late for some great TV of last. Last night I got stuck watching "In the Footsteps of Bin Laden" on CNN, then "Is Iran the next Iraq?" on the History Channel, and I know that Discovery has had some good stuff of late.

A little rant if I may as well. First, some background. Lisa and I are about as home-body as you can get. Our weekends are for laying around, cleaning, relaxing, maybe some take-out, that's about it. It's a rare event if we have something planned, it's just the way we are. We know we are the exception to the rule. For one, we are pretty cheap, so we hate going out and wasting money on stuff we don't even like, and two, we just like being home with our kids.

Having said that, as you know, Maiya started pre-school at this little Lutheran church that just has the pre-school, and it started this week so on Friday during my lunch I went to pick her up. I was the only guy there waiting for the kids, and being the eavesdropper that I am, once again overheard their conversations. One lady asked if the other was going to church this Sunday as it there was some worship event going on, with the other replying, in a very dramatic tone, "Oh no, we're going to Chicago this weekend. Then on Sunday we have to rush back to go to the Packer game. I didn't want to go, but you know my husband hates to miss a game, and I promised I would go with him..." with the other responding, "Yeah, we are heading up to the cottage this weekend, one of the last you know, then we have to rush back for..." Spare me! That's why in ten years they'll have their houses foreclosed on when inflation and energy costs rise so high that we'll have a tough time feeding ourselves much less own two homes and two cars. I guess as I hear so many saying right now, let's enjoy life, you never know what tomorrow will bring. I don't mind that attitude, but just be prepared for what the future may bring, and know Uncle Sam, which will then be run by China, will not be there to bail you out.

No comments: