Monday, June 23, 2008

A couple of more reflections on the past couple of days:

First, the past couple of days have really given me a vision for what may be my future here. I wrote a few days ago about the amount of young girls sexually abused here, upwards of 60% in Mathare, with really no support or ministries for them. We saw at Tumaini the enormous need for counseling, and it seems to be apparent here as well. Those who know me know that I have a major heart in this area, I am praying about where the Lord takes that.

To make things more interesting we had lunch today with a friend of Dan's, Curtis, an African-American man from Chicago who lives here and ministers. I shared my heart with him and a short time later his fiance joined us. It turns out that she is studying at US International University, psychology and counseling. I shared my heart with her and inquired whether than area interested her, she responded that she doesn't know as she may not be able to objectively minister to the girls. Though this went right over my heart, Curtis shared with us later that she had been abused as a child by a relative, thus her inability to be objective. I expressed my sorrow, but he said no worry, pray that she would be able to enter that field as she would be perfect for a position with what she's gone through. My prayers are there.

We stayed by a gentleman the past two nights who hosted Dan when he stayed here two years ago. He and his son live in South C and he is retired from a big-time job with Coca-Cola, great people. We fellowshipped at Dan's church on Sunday, boring service but meeting Dan's friends was great. It was my first experience with true middle-class Kenyans, professionals, college students, etc. I have not been as happy in all of my five trips here, no asking for money, no projects in need of money, just good old-fashioned fellowship by young people who love the Lord!

Finally, we went out to dinner as a Brazilian Steakhouse last night, similar to the Carnivore without the exotic meats and price tag, but the meat was prepared much better. We spent the greater part of two hours with Philip and Charles, listening to African history, their take on regional politics, our experiences here and in US, etc. What a great time, again, one of the better in all of my time here.

But then reality hit us again today as we ventured back into town, only to be accosted again by kids, adults, etc. A security guard helped me get my things into the elevator and to my room in the hotel and as soon as the doors closed said to me, "You should invite me to the US with you," when I responded that he would need a visa, he said I could take care of it...seeing that I met him barely 15 seconds ago I think I'll pass.

Out for now...29 hours until I depart, around 63 until I land in Appleton.

No comments: