Thursday, June 12, 2008

A few thoughts on my first few days here in Kenya and my trip over:

1) Amsterdam is flat, flat like I've never seen before. I thought central WI and Nebraska were flat, this takes it to another level completely. It now makes sense why rising water level can affect this country more than any other.

2) I hate always asking for exit rows on flights, but I always do, and am often successful. I had the best seat ever on the way over, I was able to lounge back, stretch out, and sleep for six of the eight hour flight. Of course, that meant I would get no sleep the next two nights, but it was worth it.

3) Our driver let me drive for 2.5 hours yesterday, on the highway and into Mombasa. The highway was fine, the group didn't like my driving in Mombasa, I would explain the traffic but there is no comparison that anyone would recognize, not even if you've been to Mexico.

4) I'm in what Morrie Schwarz would call a tension of opposites right now. On one hand, I feel this may be my last trip for a while. The travel, cost, and time away from family is just wearing on me too much of late. I can see taking a couple of years off.

On the other hand, I feel that I am just beginning my work. The problem is that I feel I need more to do here, more concrete projects, than just bringing teams over and visiting the people. It's a true tension of opposites and one I really need to commit more time to prayer for.

That's it for now, we are one more day in Mombasa, tomorrow I fly back to Nairobi for a meeting, then off to Masii for a few more days.

A final thought on the flight. The drive from Masii was almost 8 hours yesterday, but on very good roads. I have to fly to Nairobi for my meeting and then drive to Masii, only two hours but on terrible roads. The roads are so bad that I seriously don't know whether the 8 hours on good roads or two hours on bad road is better or worse. Yes, it's that bad. (The only good news is that they are that bad because they are being fixed...hopefully next year...if I come back.

3 comments:

LJ said...

Couldn't agree with you more on the benefits of an exit row. It's like being a first class passenger in a sea of coach. Safe travels...I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

James said...

Great to hear you made it and are doing well. We survived the move down south and are in the midst of unpacking. Looking forward to seeing you at the ATL airport.

JPN said...

Glad to hear you made it safe James. I'll call you before I leave Nairobi to give you final details and then as soon as I land in ATL.