Saturday, June 21, 2008

Well, a transition time has come in our trip. The three ladies with us are gone, it is just Dan and I, and the time is winding down. A few thoughts:

First, we both had an hour massage yesterday, not exactly deep-tissue but solid nonetheless, other than the lady making fun of me (to me and Dan separately) that I was losing my hair, she said either I'm rich or old. I'm afraid both are coming too true.

We then went to Mathare and Kibera to again visit HEART's WEEP (Women's Empowerment and Education Program) centers which take in HIV+ single mothers, give them the necessary drugs, get them healthy, and teach them a tailoring skill and guarantee them a certain income through the program. It's very solid. Beyond that, the driver for HEART, William, bought the plot next to one of the centers and is using the first floor for the women to work and the second for them to live free of rent. He said we American's have been such an influence and encouragement on him and his family and the women that this was their way of giving back. Mind you, this is a gentleman was lives in Kibera, who does not have a rainy day fund, but thought it important to do his part. WOW!

We then went back to HEART, had dinner, and Dan and I went to a club called Casablanca. I've seen nothing in the US that rivals this place, it was crazy, and we were a little out of our league. Nevertheless we enjoyed a few drinks on the couches and made it back to the lodge before midnight.

Today we spend the morning with my friends Dotun and Ami and their ministry to refugees, specifically today Somalis. A great time. There was also a gentleman there affiliated with ITeams, the son of the founder, Craig Dyer. We had a good talk, it was a great time. The highlight was the intensive prayer time we had for peace in Somali (Dotun led us through 2 Kings 7 first, asking if we really believe that God can bring peace to that country), the children of Somali, and the believers from Somalia, that they can remain strong and one day go back to bring the Gospel to their country. It was powerful!

We are also now relying on public transportation, not my favorite but I can handle it, for a few days anyway. Only 79 more hours until I leave, you think I'm getting homesick?

1 comment:

James said...

Wow, I'm just amazed at how much you do and how many people you visit while you are there. Does that help the time go by fast? Of course, I can understand that you are homesick.

Great story about William. That is encouraging to hear of a local providing for his people. We could learn from that here!

Looking forward to seeing you on the 25th.